The Dumb Drum has moved!

You should be automatically redirected soon. If not, click
http://www.dumbdrum.com
and update your bookmarks!

Friday, July 18, 2008

Dem Reviews: The Dark Knight

So how can I write a review that won't sound like all the others? Because I agree with most of them: this film is very, very good. The fanboy in me loved it. The filmmaker, too. So instead of me sitting here and regurgitating what every other reviewer has, I'm going to point out the one thing that didn't make it the most perfect film I've ever seen.

The Batman - Never during the entire 2.5 hour run of the film did I fear the flying rodent. His fighting style is comparable to how I would imagine the Kool-Aid man would look like if he knew kung fu. Maybe it's the suit's bulky design, but I think Nolan's decision to humanize Batman and show that he is a man in a suit by choosing some lengthy shots still detracted from the Batman experience for me. When Batman is around, he's god. Or at least he's supposed to make his opponents think so. Oh yeah, and the return of the gravely voice from the first one returns....NOW WITH MORE GRAVEL! Ugh....

Sure, one might see this as my fanboyism manifesting itself and I would probably more than agree with you. I can't change that, sorry. I loves me my comics! But to counter my one claim (before people get all pissy) about the film, I would still say that this is the best film I've seen this year, without a doubt. The script and film, as a whole, can only be described as dynamic & visceral and it's always awesome to see the universe building as sequels come out. They give you the fodder for one to imagine what else is out there in the Gotham universe. If you can spare the extra $5 or so, go see it in IMAX. It's totally worth it. This was my first full length feature film I've seen in the format and I'm in love. And I'm sure you will be, too. So.....anyone gonna swede this bad boy for the festival?

13 comments:

Battledrill said...

His voice always bugged me too. I guess it gets a pass because thats how he disguises it.

PartyMarty said...

I watched Batman Begins a few days ago and noticed the voice thing, but in The Dark Knight he's got extra growl. I agree with battledrill though, he's gotta mask the Bruce Wayne voice somehow. Easily the best comic book movie so far, I didn't want it to end. IMAX was freakin' LOUD. I don't think I've ever jumped that many times in a movie. Stupid gunshots.

Anonymous said...

I didn't want to say anything that might have ruined it for you... but since you've seen it.. I can say stuff now! Yay

1). I've never liked his voice... It seriously made me dislike him more than the original movie. It buggss meee!

2). I've been wanting to see this movie since it was announced.

3). I love the Joker, I'll admit it, I'm crazy. I have two hard-back comics based on the Joker.
Why? Because the Joker rocks ( and I'm crazy).

I forgot that Ledger played the Joker and I just saw the Joker.
This is why the Joker is better than Batman. There, I said it.. Hate me if you want.

He wins. Since I heard that first cackle in the very first trailer... I knew that he'd be the best Joker... ever...

You'll think I'm nuts now... Oh well why not everyone else does?

brodiemash said...

battle & marty - I totally agree with the masking of the voice but this was just a bit....naw, ALOT overboard!

bekki - Ledger was amazing, no buts about it. Cliche as it may sound, your totally dead on: That dude WAS the Joker! I'm sure after this performance, membership in the Joker fanclub is going to sky rocket even further.
And don't worry about being nuts. Here at Dumb Drum we love....ah, man...not like THAT! Swear!

Anonymous said...

There's a Joker fan club?!!

How did I not know about this?!

Oh and your blog is very intriguing...

I'm enjoying it...

Anonymous said...

add your reviews at fresnobeehive.com (or click my name to get url) ... you know you wanna.

Anonymous said...

The History Channel is totally running a show on the Psychology of Batman right now.

Hope you're checking it. They're interweaving interviews with comic cons, psychologists, PhD's, all sorts! Crazy! (well, maybe not "crazy" but you know what I mean). Batman is so hot right now. Why is that?

Anonymous said...

I'M IN FOR THE SWEDE! DO NOT MAKE IT WITHOUT MY PARTICIPATION!

Mathew Gomes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mathew Gomes said...

Man, there was an embarrassing typo in the initial comment. Here it is again.

Another problem for me:

Why doesn't Two-Face's voice change when half his face gets blown off? Your lips and cheeks have a pretty big overall impact on your speech.

brodiemash said...

Tru dat, Mathew. Never thought of that.....you just made me try talking with half my lips and I bet I look real stupid to anyone walking by my window right about now....

Anonymous said...

I rеad this artіcle completеly on the topic of the diffеrence of most
recent and preνіous teсhnologies, it's amazing article.

my page :: http://grachan.com

Anonymous said...

Hey Τhere. I fοund уour blog using msn.
Thіs is an extremely well written article.
I wіll be sure to bookmark it and сomе
back to reаd more of your useful info. Thanκs for thе pοst.
I will certainlу return.

Stоp by my ωeb-ѕіte dev.morgonpasset.com